Bright Horizons Children's Center

2033 K St NW, Washington, DC, 20006

Phone: 202-887-5944
Category: Daycare
State: District Of Columbia

The county's Daycare Centers are overseen by the Child Care Licensing Unit who monitors and licenses all of the Family Child Care Providers in the County.  A licensed family child care provider is approved to care for up to 6 to 12 children at one time in their home.  A licensed provider must enter into an agreement with Department of Family Services to receive public funds for their child care services.

There are two types of Child Care Provider homes.  Type A Homes can care for up to 12 children at one time with additional staff, Type B Homes can only care for up to six.  Type A Homes also have to have city approvals including zoning, building and fire approvals.

Regulated Daycare Descriptions

Centers  -  Seven or more children of any age. Centers must be licensed. Type A Homes  -  Seven to twelve children (or four to twelve children if four children are under two years of age) cared for in the provider’s personal residence. The provider’s own children under six years of age must be included in the total count. Type A homes must be licensed. 60 type A family day care homes are licensed by the Department of Job and Family Services. Type B Homes  -  One to six children cared for in the provider’s personal residence. No more than three children may be under two years of age. The provider’s own children under six years of age must be included in the total count. Anyone can operate a Type B Home without a license. However, care for more than 6 children requires a license. Type B homes must be certified by the county department of Job and Family Services if the child care is paid for with public funds. Schoolage Centers  -  Seven or more children aged kindergarten and above. School age centers must be licensed. Child Day Camps -  Program which operates for less than seven hours a day and only during the vacation of the public schools, cared only for school age children and which is at least 50% outdoor based. Child day camps must register with the department each year. If child care is paid for with public funds, the camp must also meet American Camping Association Accreditation standards, or be approved by the state’s Department of Family Services.

Some examples of programs which do not require licensure: 

• Care provided in a child’s own home; programs which operate two weeks or less a year; 
• Programs where parents remain on the premises (unless at the parent’s employment site);
• Specialized training in specific subjects, such as art, drama, dance, swimming, etc. 
• Programs which operate one day a week for no more than six hours.

Programs licensed by other agencies - The Department of Education licenses child care programs operated by public and private chartered schools and Head Start programs. Rules and regulations: State’s child care regulations consist of basic requirements designed to prevent harm to children’s health, safety and development. The regulations cover the following areas: 

• License/Approvals 
• Staff Requirements 
• Staffing/Grouping 
• Space Requirements 
• Program Equipment 
• Policies/Procedures 
• Safety/Discipline 
• Health Program 
• Children’s Records 
• Nutrition 
• Handwashing/Diapers 
• Infant Care

State’s child care centers are inspected prior to receiving a license, and after license issuance - once a year (for part time centers) or twice a year (for full time centers) - to be sure they continue to meet the requirements. Centers will also be investigated in response to complaints. State’s child care centers must post their license in a conspicuous place where parents can see it. They must also post copies of inspection reports for parent’s review.