The Passport Offices are provided by the Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs, Office of Passport
Services Customer Service, which designates many post offices, clerks of court, public libraries and other state, county, township, and municipal government offices to accept passport applications on its behalf.
If you need a passport for international travel within two weeks, or a foreign visa within four weeks, you might be eligible for an appointment at a passport agency.
• Citizenship evidence
• Proof of relationship (for children under 16)
The specific documents you need depend on what form you're using.
You need one 2" by 2" color passport photo. You must provide one photo with your passport application.
• Your head must face the camera directly with full face in view.
• You must have a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open.
• Taken in clothing normally worn on a daily basis
• Taken in the last 6 months
• Use a plain white or off-white background
• Be sized correctly
• 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm)
• Head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25 - 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
• Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper
• Printed in color
• You cannot wear glasses.
• If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, please include a signed note from your doctor with application.
• You cannot wear a hat or head covering.
• If you wear a hat or head covering for religious purposes, submit a signed statement that verifies that the hat or head covering in your photo is part of recognized, traditional religious attire that is customarily or required to be worn continuously in public.
• If you wear a hat or head covering for medical purposes, submit a signed doctor's statement verifying the hat or head covering in your photo is used daily for medical purposes.
• Your full face must be visible and your hat or head covering cannot obscure your hairline or cast shadows on your face.
• You cannot wear headphones or wireless hands-free devices.
You must apply in person using Form DS-11 if at least one of the following is true:
• You are applying for your first U.S. passport
• You are under age 16
• Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16
• Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
• Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago
If none of the above statements apply to you, you may be eligible to Renew by Mail using Form DS-82.
To apply at this passport agency, you must:
• Be traveling internationally in less than 2 weeks or need to get a foreign visa within 4 weeks
• Be able to show printed proof of international travel (such as your flight itinerary, hotel reservation, cruise tickets, or international car insurance)
• Pay the $60 expedite fee in addition to the regular application fees
• Make an appointment
You may also come into a passport agency if we need to correct a printing error in your recently-issued passport. No appointment is necessary and no fee will be charged.